10 Surprising Stats About Party Snack Foods
Americans have a few interesting snacking habits. In fact, 17% of people admit to eating party snacks in the bathroom – either on the toilet or in the shower – and almost 50% of people double dip at parties.
Some of those surprising snacking habits also include: one in four people snack while walking the aisles of the grocery store and nearly 50% of people snack in bed. The old adage that you can’t have just one is true: 70% of people have eaten an entire bag of party snack food in one sitting. The reasons why vary from boredom to a bad day at work to a lack of motivation to cook a full meal.
Punchbowl® recently conducted a survey of its party hosts to find out how they select snack foods for their events, and in the process we discovered some intriguing snacking behaviors. Take a look at the highlights:
- 46% of people admit to double dipping at parties.
- One in every two people snack while in bed.
- 83% of people research party snack recipes online.
- A quarter of people say they’ve eaten a snack to prevent them from having a meltdown in public.
- More than 27% of people snack while walking the aisles of the grocery store.
- Tortilla chips are the most popular snack food, followed by potato chips, snack mix, and then pretzels.
- 70% of people admit to eating an entire bag of snack food in one sitting.
- 17% of people eat snacks in the bathroom, either in the shower or on the toilet!
- Almost one third of people choose their snack foods for a party based on recommendations from friends.
- Only 3% of people buy snack foods for the party the day of and 21% buy the day before.
Interested in reading more about party snacks? Check out the party snacks infographic or download the eBook on snack foods and celebrations that provides insights on the $38 billion celebrations industry and gives snack food marketers specific ways to reach those who spend billions on party snacks every year.
Posted by Katie Petrillo