The best Christmas ornaments are often the ones made by hand because they have wonderful sentimental value. Most homemade Christmas ornaments are easy to make and are also a perfect stocking stuffer or present for Grandma! Decorating the Christmas tree is a wonderful activity to do as a family, especially when you reflect on where each ornament was purchased or who made a particular homemade Christmas ornament. Make Christmas ornaments this year and every year as a tradition and keep idle hands busy while the snow falls outside.
Homemade Christmas ornament ideas and Christmas ornaments to make yourself:
- Print a favorite photo and glue it inside a metal Christmas-themed cookie cutter. Tie colored ribbon around the edge and write the date with permanent marker on the bottom.
- Cut out all the parts of a snowman using felt fabric. Let kids build their own using craft glue and their imagination!
- Gather pinecones from outside and allow them to dry near a heat source overnight. Paint with glitter glue and set inside the branches of your Christmas tree.
- Plaster handprints make great family Christmas ornaments. Kits are sold at craft and toy stores and are super easy for kids and adults alike. Arrange for all kids in a family to do a handprint and wrap together as a present for grandparents.
- Decorate clear plastic ball ornaments with used Christmas wrapping paper and Modge Podge. An assortment of different wrapping papers makes for a very colorful tree!
When the days are cold and the snow is falling, making Christmas ornaments is the perfect activity for a group of kids, friends, or a family. Use your imagination when thinking of ideas and personalize the ornaments as much as possible or write a significant date, poem or sentiment if giving one as a gift. Send one of our free Christmas party invitations to gather your friends and family together!