How to Celebrate Friendship Day
Where would we be without our friends? In good times and in bad, our friends are there by our sides to share in our triumphs and they pick us up when we're down. While we all know the value of our friends, it may be surprising to learn that Congress also acknowledges the value of true friendship. In 1935, Congress proclaimed Friendship Day a national holiday.
Celebrated on August 2, Friendship Day is an opportunity to tell your friends how much they mean to you. Here are some ideas for ways to celebrate Friendship Day.
- Pick up the phone and call your really close friends. Sometimes we get busy and probably don't speak as often as we should. Set aside some time to call those friends you haven't spoken to in a while and finally catch up! Better yet, make it a video call, so that you can see each other's faces.
- Send online Friendship cards right from your phone! Concerned you’ll forget to send them on August 2? No need to fret: you can schedule eCards to deliver in advance so that you don’t have to worry about remembering to send them the day of!
- Create a group video to celebrate with a bunch of friends! Reconnect with your Sorority Sisters and or a great group of friends all at once. Set up a Memento group video and send invitations to everyone in your circle. Share messages of love and support for one another, record an update on what's new, and share the final group video with everyone who contributes!
- Give your friend a book about friendship! From kid's classics like Winnie-the-Pooh and Charlotte's Web to beloved stories like Tuesdays with Morrie or The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, books are the gifts that keep on giving. You can read them over and over again, and pass them on for other friends to enjoy.
- Go to brunch, get pedicures, or do whatever you and your pals enjoy most... Just make a plan to get together and enjoy each others' company. Whether you have one close friend that you want to get together with or maybe there's a small group of you, spending time with friends is proven to be good for your health!
- Be spontaneous. Pop over for a surprise visit just to say hello and give your friend a big hug. As an added bonus, bring flowers or cookies, maybe even wine.
When you're talking about celebrating great friendships, there are no rules. Do whatever you're moved to do and you're sure to get a great reaction from your friends!
Love this article?
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now