5 Popular Memorial Day Celebrations
Memorial Day is celebrated annually on the last Monday in May. Officially, Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who have died serving our country. Unofficially, the holiday marks the kickoff to summer.
Some people feel that traditional observances of the day have diminished over the years. However, there are still a variety of traditional celebrations that you can enjoy that honor the great men and women who’ve served our country.
Here are a few of the larger Memorial Day events that happen around the country:
- The National Memorial Day Parade, Washington, DC: This annual parade in our nation’s capital draws over 250,000 spectators and features marching bands, parade floats, youth groups, as well as hundreds of veterans from World War II through Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Little Neck-Douglaston Memorial Day Parade, Little Neck-Douglaston, NY: This annual parade is billed as one of the largest Memorial Day parades in the country. With nearly 10,000 people marching in the parade, the sidewalks along the route are filled every year. Make sure to get there early to get a great spot to watch the festivities!
- Chicago’s Memorial Day Parade, Chicago, IL: One of the largest parades of its kind, Chicago’s Memorial Day Parade begins with a Wreath Laying Ceremony at the Eternal Flame on Daley Plaza. The parade itself features marching bands, veterans’ groups, and more.
- Fleet Week, New York, NY: Fleet Week is a celebration of the sea services - Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard - that has been held every year since 1984. Fleet Week includes a parade of ships, ship tours, air and water displays, and the opportunity for the public to meet the men and women who serve in those military branches. The highlight of the week is a ceremony on Memorial Day that includes a wreath laying, Three Volley Salute, unfurling of a 100-ft American flag, and military fly-over.
- Myrtle Beach MayFest, Myrtle Beach, SC: Myrtle Beach has a bunch of activities planned to celebrate Memorial Day, including the Memorial Day Weekend Parade. Additional highlights include free military concerts and parachute jump shows.
If you plan to attend a Memorial Day parade in your area or want to get friends and family together for a cookout, rally your troops with a Memorial Day party invitation. Enjoy the long weekend!
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now