Sweet Sixteen Cakes
Sweet 16 cakes can be made as simply or as extravagant as you want them! Between the size, style, frosting, and flavor of the cake, you can customize the cake to match the theme of your party. Here are a few tips for how to choose the perfect sweet sixteen birthday cake:
- Homemade or store-bought: The first step on the road to the perfect sweet 16 party cake is to decide who will make the cake. If you make your cake at home, you have the luxury of customizing it however you want. If you decide to order your cake from a bakery, it often requires pre-planning with the baker on the design of the cake and other important details. Many bakeries also deliver so talk to your baker about this option as well! Plus, with a bakery, you can often do a taste test!
- Cake Theme: Decide if you want your sweet 16 cake to match the theme of the party. There's no rule that says you need to match your cake to the party theme, but it often reinforces the theme of the event and provides you with some direction for the cake styling. If you are having your cake professionally made, the baker should be able to give you some guidance about the design and style of the cake based on your ideas. You can also ask to see any pictures of past designs that they have done for sweet 16 birthday cakes!
- Type of Cake: There are a wide variety of different types of cake that you can make for a sweet 16 party. From chocolate and vanilla to red velvet, funfetti, and coconut cake – the possibilities are endless for cake flavors. Choose a cake that the birthday girl or boy will love. Another cake idea is to have a different cake flavor on each layer of a tiered cake.
- Frosting: There are many types of frosting that can be used to decorate your sweet 16 birthday cake. Choose a frosting that will best suit the atmosphere of your party. Buttercream is the most popular type of frosting for birthday cakes and cupcakes because it can be altered into a variety of different flavors. Ganache is the simplest and most versatile of frostings. When hardened, it can also be piped to decorate cakes. Fondant can also be used to make flowers or other designs on a cake. It also holds well in a variety of temperatures which is ideal if your party is going to be outdoors.
- Cake Toppers: Choose a sweet 16 cake topper to match the theme of your party. And of course, make sure to include a number “16” candle that the guest of honor can blow out in lieu of sixteen candles on the cake. If you are feeling creative, you could design a unique topper to go on top of the birthday cake. A fun idea is to put together a small photo collage of the birthday girl or boy and glue it to a wooden stick to attach to the top of the cake.
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now