Start Your Engines: Indy 500 Party Ideas
The Indianapolis 500 is the biggest IndyCar race of the year and has taken place annually since 1911. If you're a fan but can't attend the actual race, throw an Indy 500 party that goes all day! An Indy 500 party theme must have a few essential race day details to make sure all your guests feel the excitement. Since the historic race covers 500 miles and 200 laps, make your Indianapolis 500 party theme all about the enormity of the event. A really fun, festive way to do this is to make your Indy 500 party decor all about the actual race track. Create a virtual oval race track in your party space and place folding chairs all around it. Make sure the television is prominent, so everyone can watch all the action.
Before any party planning is started, be sure to send Indy 500 party invitations through Punchbowl. There are a variety of design options and sending it with Punchbowl will allow you to start a potluck list, poll your guests for cocktail preferences, and banter on the message board before the event.
Here are some Indianapolis 500 party ideas:
- Indy 500 party decorations include checkered flags, racecar driver items, a large banner with the event title, and red and green balloons.
- Stick with easy, all-American foods like burgers/hotdogs, chicken wings, and nachos, but be sure to ask guests to bring an appetizer or dessert.
- Wow your guests with a racetrack cake made from a sheet cake with creative checkered frosting topped with toy cars
- For some Indy 500 party activities, have a costume contest where guests comes dressed like their favorite driver or design a game around how many crashes take place, who gains the most points at the end, and if anyone is eliminated during the race.
- As Indy 500 party favors, give each guest a diecast race car with a balloon tied to it.
Indy 500 party ideas can include fun activities during the breaks and commercials as well. Since there are lots of stops and starts to a race, start a card game or play a few rounds of charades!