Retro Party Theme
Need a fresh theme idea for your next cocktail or birthday party? Take a step back in time and make it a retro themed party or retro birthday party. The 60s and 70s were decades dedicated to peace and love, disco dancing, crazy clothing, and groovy music, which make it an ideal theme for your next party. Here are some fun retro party ideas to help you plan the perfect groovy get-together that your guests won’t forget!
- Invitations: Send out retro themed digital invitations to give guests a sneak peek into what to expect at the party. To give your invitation design a vintage feel, use a retro color scheme and retro invitation wording. Some common 60s and 70s phrases are: groovy, retro-cool, gee wiz, bomb-tastic, radical and funky. Add some vintage images or accents to complete your design.
- Decorations: Outfit your party space with lots of retro party decorations. Tie peace signs, smiley faces, bright flowers, vintage records, tie-dye table covers, kaleidoscopes and disco balls into the décor. Hang old records on the walls along with cardboard peace signs and flowers. Find smiley face balloons to tie to chairs and place at the entranceway. Create a disco dance floor space complete with a rotating disco ball and colored lights. The retro décor will make your guests feel like they have stepped back in time when they walk through your door.
Food: Tie the theme into the menu by serving retro party food. The 70s were simpler times, so serving nostalgic, simple dishes work great for this theme. Also, if you are planning a retro cocktail party include a few throw-backs to your menu as well. Sample retro party food menu:
- Finger foods: cheese fondue with crudité, cocktail weiners, cheese puffs, mini-meatballs, shrimp cocktail, olive dip with rye bread, oysters Rockefeller, mini beef wellington, chips and french onion dip and cheese spread with crackers
- Dessert: Yodels, Ring Dings, Hostess cupcakes, Twinkies, and vintage candy bars
- Vintage cocktails: Harvey Wallbangers, Side Cars, Mint Juleps, Black Russians and Manhattan martinis
- Music: To add fun and ambiance to your retro party create a playlist with classic songs from the 60s and 70s. Some artists to include are: Steely Dan, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Donna Summer, Bee Gee’s, Marvin Gaye, Barry White and K.C. and the Sunshine Band.
- Games: To make your party unique, incorporate retro party games. An easy game is to have a costume contest during the party and award the best-dressed a prize. This will encourage everyone to break out their best vintage outfits and entice some friendly competition. You could also try Twister or play Gin Rummy!
- Favors: Put together gift bags filled with retro party favors for your guests to take home at the end of the night. Some things to include in the bag are vintage candy and candy bars, yo-yos, paddleballs, Slinky, jack & ball sets, Rubik’s cubes and Chinese finger traps. All of these nostalgic party favors are the perfect final touch to complete your retro-theme party.
So, pull on some polyester, lace up your go-go boots and get ready to have a groovy time at your retro party!