Kickoff to Summer Fiesta
The days are getting hotter, the grass is getting greener, and the flowers are blooming. This can only mean one thing: cook out season is officially here! What better way to kick off summer then to have a summer kickoff fiesta? This way, you can put a spin on the classic barbecue by adding a Latin twist!
- Food: Buy standard barbecue items like burgers, hotdogs, chicken, etc. To add some Latin flavor, buy or make sauces like chipotle, hot sauce, and mango salsa. You can also add toppings such as avocado and queso fresco to burgers. Include side dishes like seven-layer dip, spicy bean salad, tortilla chips, and guacamole! To keep the meal on the lighter side, opt for a tropical fruit salad and fruity sorbet or frozen yogurt for dessert.
- Drinks: They can add a fun and festive element to any summer fiesta. Make pitchers of fun, summery drinks like margaritas, sangria, and mojitos. Or, set up a make-your-own cocktail bar. On a large table, place a blender, bin of ice, fresh fruit, juice, sugar, salt, triple sec, tequila, vodka, and anything else you think your guests would enjoy. Then, print (and laminate!) a few drink recipes to give your guests some guidance. Add some drink umbrellas and voila! People will definitely have a blast making their own tropical drinks.
- Kids’ Variations: Stick with the fiesta summer theme and choose tropical juice blends or drinks made from fruits like mango, banana, and pineapple. If you’re feeling adventurous, coconut water (either plain or flavored) can make a great drink, not to mention it has fantastic health and hydration properties!
- Family Activities: A piñata is a fun addition for the kids. You can find them at most grocery and party stores, where they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Fill the piñata with fruity, summery candy or choose slightly healthier options, like low-fat gummies. Just make sure that whatever you choose, it won’t melt! Water activities would also be fantastic additions to the party. Sprinklers, water balloons, and water slides are all great for summer kickoff fiestas. Make sure to tell guests to bring their swimsuits!
- Music: For the finishing touch to your kickoff to summer fiesta, add some festive tunes! Music for this party should be summery and fun. Songs like “Beer in Mexico” by Kenney Chesney and “Margaritaville” by Jimmy Buffet combine classic summer sounds with fun, tropical twists. People will surely get their feet moving to these summer favorites.
While a summer fiesta is a fun party theme to kickoff summer cookout season, you can use these ideas any time of year for a fun twist on the traditional cookout!