How to Make Ice Cream Cake
Make a delicious homemade ice cream cake to help celebrate a birthday party or other special occasion. Add creative flair to a homemade ice cream cake and select a favorite flavor combination. Vanilla and chocolate are traditional ice cream cake flavors, but you can think outside the box and try combinations like chocolate and mint, vanilla and caramel or strawberry and chocolate chip.
The ingredients for making an ice cream cake include:
- 1 box of cake mix
- ½ gallon ice cream
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make an ice cream cake:
- Bake the cake in a 9x13 baking pan, following the directions on the box.
- Once the cake is cool, add the ice cream. Peel the carton away from the ice cream. Use a piece of fishing wire or string to cut the ice cream in half, from one long side to the other long side. Once cut, put the two layers next to each other on a piece of wax paper.
- Put the cake over the layers of ice cream. Trim the edges so the ice cream and cake are the same size.
- Use a large plate, platter or board and place over the cake. Flip the cake over while holding the wax paper and plate. Remove the wax paper and blend the seam of the two slabs of ice cream.
- Cover the cake with wax paper and place it in the freezer.
- Make the frosting while the cake is in the freezer. Combine whipping cream, sugar and vanilla. Whip with an electric hand mixer.
- Decorate the cake with the whipped frosting and other decorations such as sprinkles or colorful candy. Use frosting to write text on the cake.
- Keep the ice cream cake in the freezer until before the party.
Impress your guests with this easy ice cream cake recipe. Keep in mind the number of guests at the party and make two separate cakes, or combine two together to make one large cake for a big group. Last but not least, celebrate, mingle, savor and enjoy!