High School Graduation Party Ideas
Hosting a graduation party is a great way to show a graduate how proud you are of their accomplishments. If you are stumped trying to come up with unique high school graduation party ideas, don’t fret! There are many different ways that you can personalize the party based on the graduate’s interests and tastes.
- Backyard Bash: A great graduation idea for high school students is a low-key backyard barbecue. Fire up the grill and serve your graduate and their friends burgers and hotdogs. If you have a pool, be sure to tell the guests to bring their bathing suits and towels. Keep the party going after the sun goes down with a bonfire in a firepit and tiki torches. Don’t forget the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers for s’mores!
- Location, Location, Location: Another great high school graduation party idea is to host the party at a local hotel or restaurant. A local venue is ideal if you plan to have a large number of guests at the party. Other location ideas for a high school graduation party are a cruise ship, ranch, or convention center. Keep in mind that most of the attendees will be your grad's high school friends so you might not want them to travel too far to get to the party. However, if you do choose a venue that requires driving, consider hiring a party bus to transport the kids to and from the venue.
- Joint Party: If your graduate has one or two close friends, consider hosting a joint graduation party. Talk to the other graduates’ parents about coordinating food, gifts, and guests. A joint party is a nice option for a high school graduation since it will allow guests to attend one party rather than having to choose between two or three good friends' parties.
- Potluck: Another great graduation idea for a high school party is to host a potluck with your graduate’s friends and family. Depending on their preferences, you could make the potluck a dinner party where everyone brings a different entrée or side dish. Other unique ideas are to host a themed potluck like a taco party, Italian foods party, black and white foods party, or world foods party. Use Punchbowl’s potluck feature to have guests sign up to bring different foods so that you do not end up with too many of the same food item.
- Post Prom Party: Every high schooler looks forward to the final high school dance: the prom. Instead of hosting an graduation party, offer to host a post-prom party for your grad and their friends. This option is ideal if you have a vacation home or summer house where you can set up the kids for a post prom celebration. Make it clear to your grad that the post-prom party is in lieu of a graduation party. Most likely, they'll be excited about the tradeoff if they have plenty of graduation parties to attend as a guest!