A Fun Cinco de Mayo Party Planning Idea
Here’s a fun idea for your Cinco de Mayo party - host a salsa recipe contest! A contest can make your event more fun for everyone and will give your guests a chance to get to know each other better. It also lets you go shopping for fun prizes.
Here's how to get started with this great Cinco de Mayo party planning idea:
- Establish categories. Depending on how many guests you expect to attend and participate in the contest, set up categories. Guests can compete for the best red, green, hot, medium or mild salsa's. You can even award a winner for something like Best Fruit Salsa!
- Set the scene. Create a festive salsa contest atmophere. Set up festive picnic tables in your backyard, string up chili pepper lights, and put a sombrero on the table for guests to put their ballots in.
- Keep is secret. Keep the chefs a mystery by transferring the salsas into plain bowls and labeling them with numbers so the chef is unknown (remember to keep a master list). On the voting ballots, have guests write adjectives to describe what they think of the salsas and read their funny comments when you award the winners. And don't forget to have plenty of water on hand for those salsa submissions that are high on the heat index!
Here's a recipe for salsa you can use to kick things off!
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño, salt and pepper in a nonmetallic bowl, and toss to combine. Taste and correct the seasonings. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to two days. Toss before serving.